Grandmama and Granddaddy Armstrong (my mother's parents) lived in Creswell and we would often visit them on Sunday afternoons. Without fail, Grandmama would invite us into her tiny little kitchen for "a party". She always had grape soda and snack cakes/cookies on hand to entertain her young guests. If I had to choose one word to describe her, it would be selfless. She always gave the best she had to someone else. When I think about Granddaddy Armstrong, I picture him playing his guitar quoting Scripture from memory. Or letting me style his hair when I was little. And getting me to try and spell "Nebuchadezzar". I can see him chuckling right now. It has been ten years since he took his last breath, and my eyes still fill with tears when I think about how much I miss him. Ashley and Paul would have really liked him.
Grandmama and Granddaddy Rath's home was in Roper and their cottage was just down the road. I remember that they were always very neighborly and could be often found visiting friends. Grandmama loved her rose garden and always seemed to be bringing someone a colorful bouquet. I can easily picture Granddaddy with his Polaroid camera making that silly noise with his tongue to get you to look at the camera. And the saying 'one man's trash is another man's treasure' could have been his motto. Granddaddy could take what one might consider junk and make it work again.
I can see a little of each of my grandparents in myself. I love hosting children's parties, gardening, and photography. And one day I hope to have the level of Biblical understanding that Granddaddy A. had after a lifetime of study.
I am so grateful for the Christian heritage my grandparents had in common and instilled in my parents. My grandparents left behind a legacy of their Christian faith and used their talents to serve God. I see my parents following in their footsteps.

Now, as little eyes watch me everyday, I find myself thinking about the legacy I want to leave for my own children. As parents, we have the opportunity and responsibility of continuing our spritual legacy through the lives of our children. Our actions speak louder than our words, so modeling our faith in our everyday lives becomes critical. Just as those before us have used their individual talents to serve God, we must do the same.
In adition to modeling our faith, praying scriptural blessings for our children is crucial. Pray that God will fill our children with His Holy spirit and show them how to exercise their spiritual gifts and enable them to bear all the fruit of the spirit - love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness and self-control (Eph 5:18, 1 Cor 12:4-28, Gal 5:22-23).
What will your spiritual legacy be? Every moment matters.
No comments:
Post a Comment