Having grown up near my grandparents, I knew them well, but learned much more during those interviews. Stories about their childhoods, marriage proposals, and even what my parents were like as children were recorded on video. These stories along with photos and family genealogy were gathered into a book to complete the project. Who knew a class assignment would become something I would eventually treasure? While the video quality isn't the best, I'm planning to transfer these videos to DVD to give to our family members at Christmas. I hope they will enjoy them as much as I have.
Each family has its own unique stories. There are anecdotes my parents share that no one else can convey quite the way they do. So, the next phase of this project will be interviewing my parents using the same questions that I posed to my grandparents. If you would like to preserve your family memories for your own children through the use of oral histories, the interview format I use can be found here.

No comments:
Post a Comment