Recently, a friend described the two of us as helicopter moms. She nailed it. I hover. Like many other moms, I'm very protective of my children. Lately as I talked with two of my closest friends, we agreed that despite our best efforts, accidents just happen sometimes. I'm sure others can relate to that guilty feeling when your child gets hurt and you blame yourself. If only I had just _____.(you fill in the blank) My personal favorite has to be, "If only I had put the razor up higher in the shower so my two year old wouldn't be tempted to shave like Daddy and slice his lower lip." Ouch.Its not just bodily harm we must be concerned about. God has entrusted us to guard their hearts and minds from all that may tarnish their precious innocence. And since we can't hover over them constantly, we must teach them to steer away from ungodly influences. Children begin to distinguish right from wrong very early on and as parents we must equip them with the necessary decision making skills so they will be able to make good choices in life.
There was only one perfect parent, and I'm so grateful for the assurance that He will keep our children under His watchful eye. So, as the summer closes and another school year begins, pray that God will protect our little ones from all harm and then trust Him to do just that.
2 comments:
Just found your blog! I really love it. I'm an overprotective mom, too. I battle their influences every day, and pray that they'll go the direction we teach.
We can do it! We can do it!!!!
Post a Comment